Benefits of using Povidone Iodine Mouthwash
Benefits of Using PovidoneIodine Mouthwash
Povidone
iodine (PVP-I) is a broad-spectrum antiseptic that is effective against
bacteria, viruses, and fungi. It is commonly used in hospitals and other
healthcare settings to disinfect the skin and surfaces. However, PVP-I can also
be used at home for a variety of purposes, including oral hygiene.
PVP-I mouthwash is a safe and
effective way to reduce plaque and bacteria in the mouth. It can also help to
prevent and treat a variety of oral health problems, such as:
· Gingivitis: Gingivitis is the early stage of gum disease. It is caused by inflammation of the gums due to plaque buildup. PVP-I mouthwash can help to reduce plaque and inflammation, and prevent gingivitis from developing into periodontitis.
· Periodontitis: Periodontitis is a more serious form of gum disease that can lead to tooth loss. It is caused by bacteria that invade the tissues and bones around the teeth. PVP-I mouthwash can help to reduce bacteria and inflammation in the gums, and slow the progression of periodontitis.
· Canker sores: Canker sores are small, painful ulcers that can form on the inside of the mouth. PVP-I mouthwash can help to relieve pain and speed the healing of canker sores.
· Bad breath: Bad breath, also known as halitosis, is caused by bacteria in the mouth. PVP-I mouthwash can help to reduce bacteria and freshen breath.
In
addition to its oral health benefits, PVP-I mouthwash may also be effective in
preventing and treating upper respiratory tract infections, such as the common
cold and the flu. A study published in the journal JAMA Otolaryngology -
Head & Neck Surgery found that using PVP-I mouthwash twice daily for
one week reduced the risk of developing a cold by 50%. PVP-I mouthwash has also
been shown to be effective against the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which causes COVID-19.
PVP-I
mouthwash is available over-the-counter at most pharmacies. It is important to
follow the directions on the product label carefully. Typically, adults should
swish 2 tablespoons of PVP-I mouthwash for 30 seconds twice daily. Children
should use half the amount of adults.
PVP-I
mouthwash can be used safely for up to two weeks. If you need to use it for
longer than two weeks, talk to your doctor or dentist.
Side effects of PVP-I mouthwash
PVP-I
mouthwash is generally safe for most people to use. However, some people may
experience side effects, such as:
· Brown staining of the teeth and tongue
· Burning sensation in the mouth
· Hypersensitivity to iodine
· Allergic reaction
If you
experience any side effects after using PVP-I mouthwash, stop using it and talk
to your doctor or dentist.
When to see a doctor or dentist?
If you
have any of the following oral health problems, you should see a doctor or
dentist:
· Bleeding gums
· Swollen gums
· Loose teeth
· Persistent bad breath
· Canker sores that do not heal after two weeks
· Pain in the mouth or gums
PVP-I
mouthwash is a safe and effective way to improve oral health and prevent oral
health problems. It can also be effective in preventing and treating upper
respiratory tract infections.
For more information please do visit Our website i.e (https://www.glowria.in/)
Comments
Post a Comment